SHEFFIELD TOWNSHIP — The Wellington Dukes spoiled the Clearview homecoming, rallying from an 18 point first half deficit to defeat Clearview, 26-24.
Clearview stormed out early, scoring on their first two series. Chase Christensen hit Jordan Reed for a 10-yard touchdown pass to give the Clippers a 6-0 lead. After Wellington fumbled on its ensuing possession, Clearview scored again on a Christensen 6-yard touchdown pass to Sam Clark to extend the lead to 12-0.
Early in the second quarter, Christensen hit CJ Fleming for a 50-yard touchdown pass that gave Clearview an 18-0 lead.
Then came the Dukes. Ben Higgins hit Jon Brasee on a 36-yard touchdown pass. Along with the PAT from Grace Dudziak, Wellington cut the Clearview lead to 18-7.
Higgins would throw his second touchdown of the first half with 3:43 to play, finding Kaleb Taylor on a 6-yard strike. Wellington went for the 2-point conversion and missed, still cutting the lead to 18-13.
Chase Christensen’s second interception of the night set up Wellington’s final drive of the half. Wellington drove deep into Clearview territory before Jordan Reed made his seventh interception on the year, tying the school record, to maintain the 18-13 lead at the break.
The Clippers opened the second half with the football and had a chance to pad the lead. They had a sustained drive, but came away with no points. On a 4th and 10 from the Wellington 18, Christensen’s desperation attempt for the conversion was intercepted. After trading possessions on punts, Wellington finally went ahead on a 47-yard touchdown pass from Ben Higgins to Tyler Moore. The PAT was no good, but it was enough to give Wellington a 19-18 lead late in the third quarter.
The Clippers responded. Robert Davis ran the ball well on the ensuing drive, and capped it off with an 11-yard touchdown run to put the Clippers back in front. But the Clippers missed the two-point conversion, their fourth straight missed conversion, and had a 5-point lead at 24-19 with 10:45 left.
Wellington came right back. Higgins threw his fourth touchdown pass on the night, a 42-yard strike to Jon Brasee. Grace Dudziak’s PAT gave Wellington a 26-24 lead with 7:56 to play.
Clearview turned it over on downs on their ensuing possession, but the Clipper defense forced a stop with 3:12 left and got the ball back for the Clippers final drive.
On its final drive, Clearview drove the ball into Wellington territory, but a holding penalty put Clearview behind the chains. Facing a desperation 4th and 27 with just under a minute to play, Chase Christensen scrambled and reversed field, pushing the ball right to the chains on the home sideline. The officials spot marked the ball near the Wellington 39, and after respotting the ball measured for the first down, showing Christensen was inches shy of the conversion, turning the ball over on downs. Wellington kneeled out the clock from there.
Clearview drops to 4-2 overall and 1-2 in the Lorain County League. In arguably its biggest win in years, Wellington moves to 4-2 overall and 2-1 in the Lorain County League.
Clearview will be on the road the next two weeks, with road games at Firelands and Columbia, before returning home to close out the season against Black River and Brookside.
Wellington 0 13 6 7 26
Clearview 12 6 0 6 24
- C – Chase Christensen to Jordan Reed 10 yd TD pass (conversion failed), C 6-0 (6:37)
- C – Chase Christensen to Sam Clark 6 yd TD pass (conversion failed), C 12-0 (4:30)
- C – Chase Christensen to CJ Fleming 50 yd TD pass (conversion failed), C 18-0 (11:04)
- W – Ben Higgins to Jon Brasee 36 yd TD pass (Grace Dudziak PAT good), C 18-7 (9:31)
- W – Ben Higgins to Kaleb Taylor 6 yd TD pass (conversion failed), C 18-13 (3:43)
- W – Ben Higgins to Tyler Moore 47 yd TD pass (PAT no good), W 19-18 (2:16)
- C – Robert Davis 11 yd TD run (conversion failed), C 24-19 (10:45)
- W – Ben Higgins to Jon Brasee 42 yd TD pass (Grace Dudziak PAT good), W 26-24 (7:56)
- First Downs: Clearview 15, Wellington 14
- Total Yards: Clearview 351, Wellington 327
- Passing Yards: Wellington 254, Clearview 173
- Rushing Yards: Clearview 178, Wellington 73
- Third Down Conversions: Clearview 5/12, Wellington 2/9
- Fourth Down Conversions: Clearview 2/5, Wellington 1/2
- Turnovers: Clearview 3 (3 INT), Wellington 2 (INT, fumble)
- Penalties / Yards Penalized: Clearview 11/62, Wellington 8/64
- W: Ben Higgins: 13/27, 254 yards, 4 TD, 1 INT
- C: Chase Christensen: 18/31, 173 yards, 3 TD, 3 INT
- W: Mason McClellan: 0/1, 0 yards
- C: Robert Davis: 21 rush, 93 yards, TD (Long 27)
- C: Chase Christensen: 9 rush, 73 yards (Long 26)
- W: Mason McClellan: 8 rush, 45 yards (Long 13)
- W: Ben Higgins: 5 rush, 18 yards (Long 17)
- W: Kaleb Taylor: 5 rush, 16 yards (Long 7)
- C: CJ Fleming: 1 rush, 10 yards (Long 10)
- C: Mason Argenti: 1 rush, 2 yards (Long 2)
- W: CJ Polen: 1 rush, -6 yards (Long -6)
- W: Jon Brasee: 2 rec, 78 yards, 2 TD (Long 42)
- C: CJ Fleming: 2 rec, 65 yards, TD (Long 50)
- W: Mason McClellan: 3 rec, 62 yards (Long 31)
- C: Joseph Norris: 5 rec, 61 yards (Long 28)
- W: Tyler Moore: 4 rec, 60 yards, TD (Long 47)
- W: Jayden Skinner: 1 rec, 32 yards (Long 32)
- C: Jordan Reed: 3 rec, 24 yards, TD (Long 10)
- W: Kaleb Taylor: 2 rec, 21 yards, TD (Long 15)
- C: Sam Clark: 1 rec, 6 yards, TD (Long 6)
- C: Robert Davis: 5 rec, 2 yards (Long 3)
- W: Nick Laposky: 1 rec, 1 yard
- W: Grace Dudziak: 2-3 PATs, 2 points