TOLEDO — The Clearview Clippers shined in their season debut tonight, routing the Toledo Scott Bulldogs 50-22 in non-conference action Friday night.
In reality, there’s a ton of questions entering week one, especially in a matchup like this. Taking the long road trip to Toledo, the first night under the bright Friday night lights, players stepping into new roles and much more. It’s easy to disappoint. The Clippers did none of that tonight.
Clearview jumped out to a 6-0 lead as George Hatcher caught an 8-yard touchdown pass from Chase Christensen. Scott answered late in the first quarter as Turner scored a 55-yard touchdown reception to even the score at 6-6 after a quarter. Jordan Reed had an interception for Clearview in the first quarter as well.
Clearview opened the game up in the second quarter. The Clipper defense pinned Scott deep on their own end and forcing a punt from their own end zone. The excellent field position set Clearview up for a one-play, 41-yard touchdown drive — a Chase Christensen pass to Joseph Norris for a touchdown. Clearview extended the lead to 14-6.
Keeping momentum, Robert Davis intercepted Toledo Scott on the ensuing possession for the Clippers’ second takeaway of the night. Late in the first half, Christensen completed his third touchdown pass of the night, this time a 31-yard pass to Jordan Reed that extended the Clearview lead to 20-6.
Receiving after halftime, Clearview scored on its opening possession. Chase Christensen and Jordan Reed connected for the second time into the end zone, a 25-yard touchdown pass that opened the lead to 28-6. After the Clipper defense forced a turnover on downs, Joseph Norris punched it into the end zone on a 4-yard touchdown run and the rout was on, as Clearview led 36-6.
Hiram Carreras was the next Clipper to step up, picking up Clearview’s third interception of the night, setting up a CJ Fleming 1-yard touchdown run, and Clearview led 44-6.
The best plays in the game immediately followed the touchdown. On the ensuing kickoff, Toledo Scott looked to be returning the ball for a touchdown. Joseph Norris made an incredible chasedown tackle inside the 5-yard line to prevent the score; then Anthony Lara recovered a Scott fumble and returned the ball 74 yards back to the Clearview 25.
Scott added two touchdowns in the fourth quarter, and following the second touchdown, Terrance Cavin returned the ensuing kickoff 85-yards for a touchdown. Clearview wrapped up its win at a final score of 50-22.
Clearview is 1-0 and will travel to Vermilion next Friday night in non-conference action. Scott is 0-1 and will face Fostoria next week.
Clearview 50, Toledo Scott 22
Clearview 6 14 24 6 50
Toledo Scott 6 0 0 16 22
- C – Chase Christensen to George Hatcher 8-yard touchdown pass; conversion failed, 6:57 (C 6-0)
- TS – Turner 55-yard touchdown reception; conversion failed, 1:50 (Tied 6-6)
- C – Chase Christensen to Joseph Norris 41-yard touchdown pass; conversion successful, 10:48 (C 14-6)
- C – Chase Christensen to Jordan Reed 31-yard touchdown pass; conversion failed, 1:30 (C 20-6)
- C – Chase Christensen to Jordan Reed 25-yard touchdown pass, Chase Christensen run successful, 10:29 (C 28-6)
- C – Joseph Norris 4-yard touchdown run, Chase Christensen pass to Hiram Carreras successful, 6:19 (C 36-6)
- C – CJ Fleming 1-yard touchdown run, Robert Davis run successful, 1:00 (C 44-6)
- TS – 23-yard touchdown reception; conversion successful, 3:15 (C 44-14)
- TS – Fumble return for touchdown; conversion successful, 1:25 (C 44-22)
- C – Terrance Cavin 85-yard kickoff return; conversion fails, 0:56 (C 50-22)