OBERLIN — The Clearview Clippers scored in almost every way possible on Friday night, scoring 65 first half points in a 65-20 rout of Oberlin in week 6 action.
The Clippers forced a turnover on Oberlin’s opening possession as David Rentfle recovered a fumble and returned it 25 yards for a touchdown. Drew Engle scored on a 44 yard touchdown run to extend the Clearview lead to 14-0.
Back came Oberlin, as Hairston hit Arnold for a 9 yard touchdown pass that closed Oberlin to within 14-6 after a quarter.
Then the Clippers took over.
The second quarter featured all kinds of scoring for the Clippers. First, Chase Christensen hit David Rentfle for a 40 yard touchdown pass. Then, the Clipper defense forced a safety. On the ensuing free kick, Fabion Kirkwood’s 80 yard return set up Clearview inside the 5 and Drew Engle capitalized on a 3 yard touchdown run. Jordan Reed had an interception on the next Phoenix drive, which set up David Rentfle for a 4 yard touchdown run. After a Phoenix turnover on downs, Drew Engle ran for a 69 yard touchdown. After a Phoenix fumble, Robert Davis hit Joseph Norris for a 35 yard touchdown pass. After Hairston hit Hopkins for a 68 yard touchdown pass for the Phoenix, Fabion Kirkwood ran the kickoff back for a touchdown. Then, David Rentfle had a 56 yard interception return for a touchdown.
When the dust settled in the first half, Clearview had a 65-14 lead and cruised from there. Reserves and Junior Varsity players played most of the second half with the running clock in effect.
Hodge added a 42 yard touchdown run in the fourth quarter that gave Oberlin the only scoring in the second half.
David Rentfle finished the night with four touchdowns in four different ways – a fumble return for a touchdown, a receiving touchdown, a rushing touchdown and an interception return for a touchdown. Drew Engle added 3 touchdowns of his own on runs of 44, 3 and 69.
Clearview improves to 5-1 overall and will now prepare for their homecoming showdown with Columbia. Oberlin falls to 2-4 overall and will travel to Fairview next week.
Clearview 65, Oberlin 20
Clearview 14 51 0 0 65
Oberlin 6 8 0 6 20
- C – Rentfle 25 yd fumble return for touchdown – 2 pt conversion fails. C 6-0 (11:00)
- C – Engle 44 yd touchdown run – Rentfle run for 2 pt conversion. C 14-0 (4:54)
- O – Hairston to Arnold 9 yd TD pass – 2 pt conversion fails. C 14-6 (1:49)
- C – Christensen to Rentfle 40 yd touchdown pass – 2 pt conversion fails. C 20-6 (11:47)
- C – Safety. C 22-6 (11:12)
- C – Engle 3 yd touchdown run – Rentfle run for 2 pt conversion. C 30-6 (10:52)
- C – Rentfle 4 yd touchdown run – Rentfle run for 2 pt conversion. C 38-6 (7:52)
- C – Engle 69 yd touchdown run – Rentfle run for 2 pt conversion. C 46-6 (4:13)
- C – Davis to Norris 35 yd touchdown pass – 2 pt conversion fails. C 52-6 (3:56)
- O – Hairston to Hopkins 68 yd touchdown pass – 2 pt conversion successful. C 52-14 (3:37)
- C – Colbert kickoff return for touchdown – 2 pt conversion fails. C 58-14 (3:22)
- C – Rentfle 56 yd interception return for touchdown – Coll PAT good. C 65-14 (2:28)
- O – Hodge 42 yd touchdown run. C 65-20 (8:38)